Thursday, October 14, 2010

Techniques for Interviews: Tips That Definitely Won’t Help You Score the Job


Everyone forever seems to have tips on what to say during a job interview, as well as how to dress, how to act, how to stand and even the correct way to shake a hand.
However, every job interview has always held at least one question that I was unprepared for, didn’t have an reply to or that, after I had replied with my rehearsed speech, the interviewer added an unexpected, “What else?”
Don’t be like me and find out yourself caught unawares. I’m going to give you a unique view of the terrible, so you know what to steer clear of. You can thank me once you’re receiving paid. And by “thank me,” I mean give me wealth.
Here is a quick list of things you should not say when unsuspecting. I have said all of them and while at first look they may seem like amazing responses, they are really not.
Q: You’re in college now? What are you studying?
A: “I don’t know yet.”
I said this once while apply for a job at Staples and was given a look like I had the brains of a Hilton child.
This reply may suggest to your friends or family that you are an individual seeking to find your identity in college, but apparently interviewers think this means that you’re stupid.
A correct reply might be, “I’m thinking of focusing on [pick a major and explain why].”
Q: What’s one of your strength?
A: “I’m eye candy.”
I have said this during two different interviews. In one the person laughed and I didn’t get the job. In a different the interviewer looked disgusted and told me,
“Don’t ever say that.” It’s bad when you’re being given interview tips during an interview.
Apparently a suitable answer is something akin to, “I finish tasks ahead of time.” Q: Do you have any visible tattoos or piercings?
A: “Depends on how much clothing I’m wearing.” Wink.
Don’t say this.
Q: What job would be ideal for you?
A: “Professional eye candy.”
Again, this is not a suitable response. In fact, don’t mention your looks at all.
Never talk about how attractive you are. Don’t even think of saying that your looks are the main difficulty in your life and that you almost wished you were uglier, except that you would hate to be ugly. This will not get you hired.
Q: Do you have any trouble following directions?
A: “Only if they’re on a map!”
I said this at a job interview for AMC, while laughing. And then, in my head, said, “What up!” General advice is to never assume the interviewer has a sense of humor. It’s safe to laugh at every single joke they make, but don’t make your own. And try not to reference your sex life ever.
Seriously people, these are gems I’m giving you. For free.
Q: Do you have any questions for us?
A: “No.” or
A: “Do I really have to dress like I like Abercrombie & Fitch?” or
A: “When do I start?”or
A: “Are you sure a girl knows enough about video games to be manager?”
I have yet to figure out the correct answer to this question. Like the secret to a healthy relationship, it eludes me. I guess I could ask something inane like who I would report to or what my responsibilities would be, but there’s got to be a classier answer than that.
Maybe something like, “Would your uniform make my eyes pop?” Go with my advice and you’ll get hired, I guarantee you’ll get the job. (No, I don’t).

No comments: